Saturday, January 10, 2015

Bathroom "Top Drawer" Organization

One of my 2015 new year resolutions is to organize areas of my home that are used on a daily basis and tend to get cluttered easily. One of those areas is our master washroom. Since this is the room we first walk into in the morning, and we last walk out of at night, it's important to me that everything in there looks tidy and clean. It's not fun waking up on a Monday morning to an ugly messy space.

The first thing that had to be fixed as soon as possible was the "top drawer". You know, that drawer that holds all your basic odds and ends... toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, hair clips, extra cotton balls, etc. This drawer became a nightmare space in a hurry after we moved in. Even though only my own stuff resides in it (hubby has his own space for his stuff), it quickly became a dumping ground for too many items. Here's a photo:


Ugly! I realized that the reason it looked so messy was because everything was literally just dumped into it instead of separated neatly. I needed a drawer organizer. I searched Amazon and finally found one that looked perfect for what I needed.

I loved the long space in the middle. Perfect for toothpaste and toothbrushes! The whole thing ended up fitting perfectly in the drawer and I was able to sort out my stuff in it. Some things, like travel sized shampoos and soaps, I opted to remove completely and store in a different area. I only need those a few times a year, so why should they cramp my drawer on a daily basis?


To add a bit more flash, and to hide the ugly paint scrapes at the bottom of the drawer, I cut up a piece of gold wrapping paper left over from Christmas, and lined the drawer with it. I love this idea because it's cheap and I can easily change the paper to match my mood throughout the seasons.


The only extra thing I left in the drawer is the bag of little cotton pads and some q-tips. I use these every day to remove makeup. I have some stored on top of the counter, but since I use them so much, they have to be refilled quite often and it's a pain to run to a different room all the time to get them. Since the bags can be tucked in behind the organizer quite easily, I thought that would work for now.


What do you think? Have you organized your drawer in a similar way? What areas of your home do you plan on organizing first this year? I'd love to hear about them!

-Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat! Feel free to leave a comment - I love hearing from readers!